Friday, December 12, 2008

Stick it to yo' fridge!

I found this idea on One Pretty Thing, but can't remember which post now, though. That site usually makes my head spin with things I want to make!

This is another so easy, so fun project that leaves you feeling giddy because the results are pretty darn cute. You simply take adhesive backed, business card size magnets - which I found in the most random aisle at Joanns - and you cut them into 2'' squares. This leaves you with a little left over piece that's odd sized, but still very useful.

You then pick our a cool fabric scrap, or fun picture from an old book, or just anything that will stick to the magnet, and lay it on there! Trim off the excess, and blammo, you have a unique, adorable magnet! The project creator advised using a little fray check on the edges of the fabric, to keep the little threads from going crazy. I also coated mine with Mod Podge, for a little extra protection. I kept thinking how epoxy would've been way shinier and cooler, but oh well. Maybe next time.




The owl and pears are from the fabulous Lolly Chops, who makes the most truly adorable things in the world. The dots are a fabric I've had around for-eva. The little boy is from a super old children's dictionary I picked up at work, and the last is from an old French story book, also snagged from the donation pile. I love how "boom" turns into "boum" in Frenchy land.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm going to make you nuts and comment on like all your posts ;) But seriously, these are cooool magnets. I'm a magnet weirdo in general, but these are a great idea for extra fabric and pics. Very neato. You should open an etsy shop down the road. Extra $$!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! So cute!! Going to Joann's after work...I think I'll pick up some magnets!
P.S. I've been having a grand time reading your blog!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, thanks so much for the shout-out! I'm so glad you're enjoying the site. Those turned out SOOOO cute!!! And I love that you incorporated Lolly's designs!

Cat Herself said...

You can get bigger sheets of magnet, like for use in the Accu-cut machine. I think they'd have them at teacher stores, or maybe Office Depot or somewhere. This would be a fun project for teens, don't you think?