Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Love the Java Jive

Several years ago, my dad found plans and hardware for a coffee mill in a wood working catalog and thought that might be a neat project. So, he made a few, and being the lover of old timey things that I am, I think it's pretty neat to have a coffee mill around the kitchen. Even though I don't use it every day, I like looking at it and knowing it's there.


(Yes, it is sitting on a pillow. That's the only way I can get it into some natural light these days. Stupid winter. )


Well, I accidentally bought whole bean coffee the other day, and had a chance to get reacquainted with it. I think the hardware's rather nice, don't you? So, to grind coffee, you put your beans in the little hopper at the top, and turn the wheel. Peek in every once in a while and make sure the beans are feeding down in, listen to the comforting grindy-crunchy sound, and that's it. When you're all done, just open the little drawer, and there ya go - fresh coffee, ground by your own little hand.






Boy, does that fresh ground coffee smell good. And it was an even better cup of coffee. While it's certainly not as speedy, there's something much more satisfying about doing it this way than the noisy little electric grinder.

No comments: