Friday, October 3, 2008

Reading...

I'm always really excited when this book comes out every year. I don't pretend to know a lot about comics, either past or present - I just know I like them. What a cool medium - words and images together, but for grown-ups (hmmm, I wonder why this should appeal to a children's librarian).

There's something about the immediacy of the image coupled with the meaning of the words that creates, at times, a weird sort of third meaning. If you had either thing by itself, it would have a distinct meaning - but when you put them together, a totally different mix of the two occurs. I love it - I love these strange, unnerving, funny and beautiful comics. They appeal so much to the part of me that is drawn to process and multiplicity and "in-betweeness."

No comments: