Saturday, November 8, 2008

Five Most Influential Books...


A friend was pondering the most influential reads of her life so far, and it got me thinking, too. Just like her, I feel the need to divide between adult and kid titles, since I'd have five kids books before I even got to the adult years.

Adult Titles:

1. Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fanny Flag

2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

3. One of Ours by Willa Cather

4. The Art Lover by Carol Maso

5. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje


Childrens' Titles:

1.The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder ( I can't choose just one)

2. The Anne of Green Gables books by Lucy Maud Montgomery (again, can't pick just one)

3. Misty of Chicoteague by Margeurite Henry

4. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

5. If You Listen by Charlotte Zolotow (with the old artwork)


These are almost just a snapshot of what I'm feeling this particular day. Who can say what I might list next week, or next year? I suppose I'd call these influential in that they either stuck with me and made a deep impression upon me my whole life, or in that they showed me something new or showed me a way in which I did fit into the world.

Here's the set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books me and my sisters shared since, well, birth, I think. They are clearly well loved, and opening them - despite broken spines and very yellowed pages - is in every way like coming home. God, I love books, don't you?


No comments: